Thursday, November 3, 2011

Stout Week Update!!!

I did my part in celebrating Stout Week last night at the Flying Saucer.  Apparently there was a shipping issue with the Bell's brews planned for Friday, so they moved the Big Eddy and Sierra Nevada to Friday night.  Unfortunately I was unaware of this last night and received a perplexed look from the bartender when I asked for the Fritz and Ken's Ale.  I then had to drown my sorrows in the likes of Parabola.  Poor me!  The cool thing was all the special offerings from Monday and Tuesday were still available on tap.  From the looks of the place last night, I bet Parabola survived the night and will still be available today. 

The Big, The Bad, The Parabola

FatCat's thoughts:

Firestone Parabola - My absolute favorite.  Huge bourbon and booze coming out of the nose on this one.  This is definitely not for the faint of heart, if your not a bourbon fan this may not be for you.  This brew was huge everywhere.  Big mouthfeel, big bourbon, big molasses, big sweetness.  I am a fan of big sweet imperials and this one didn't disappoint.  Did I mention the bourbon?  Awesome x2!

Dieu du Ciel Peche Mortel - I'm not a big coffee stout fan but this brew was outstanding.  The coffee/espresso character meshed perfectly with the roasty sweetness of the malt.  Awesome!

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast - Was excited to try this but was too dry for my taste.  I didn't really pick up a lot of coffee character in this one.  The middle of the palate was very roasty bitter and the finish didn't offer any relief from the overly dry character.

New Belgium Clutch - Not good nor bad.  The sourness was somewhat subdued and lingered a bit in the aftertaste.  The roast character was somewhat flat and didn't really stand out either.  I was expecting a little more character out of the sourness or the roasted malt or both.  Admittedly this was the last brew of the night so my palate was probably recovering from the Parabola.


The remaining schedule:

Thursday 11/03:
Founders Night: Breakfast Stout, Canadian Breakfast Stout - There are indications that tickets for CBS will be sold starting at 6pm.

Friday 11/04:
Leinenkugel's Big Eddy, Sierra Nevada Fritz & Ken's Ale

Saturday 11/05:
There is an outside chance at a very laid back Mikkeller Black hole tasting Saturday afternoon, but that is still up in the air.

All beers are draught, and the events will begin at 7pm each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment