Saturday, February 23, 2013

Snowgasm Part 1: Dig

Last year I was involved in a torrid love affair craft brewstyle.  I was caught by surprise and subsequently blown away by a beautiful pale ale called Dig.  Never before had I had such an exotic blend of mango, lemons, malt, and earth.  It was a magical time in my life but like all good things it had to come to an end.  A year later and I yearn for the good ole times of yesteryear.  It was only a matter of time before my love and I would be reunited for our seasonal fling.  I anxiously awaited Dig’s arrival and was finally rewarded.  This year Dig was even available in 12 packs!  Please give us some alone time.

OK we’re back.  Dig how I have missed you…but you have changed sweetie.  You are not the one I remember so fondly last year.  Your big bright exotic flair is gone.  What the heck happened?  Freshness should not be an issue because I purchased it as soon as it hit the shelves.  However, the taste completely lacked the uniqueness of last year.  What a disappointment.  My love affair had been reduced to a juvenile romp in the back of a Buick. 

The Dig looked seductive enough in the glass but once my nose ventured into the aroma zone it was clear Dig was not the same.  The nose had a grassy-grainy aroma with just a slight tinge of lemon.  The taste starts off with dry grain character and then…not much.  The hop character is completely flat from what I remember from last year.  In place of big exotic hop flavor is some dull grassy character and maybe a slight nuance of lemon.  My love what has happened to you?  A moderate bitterness on the finish is the finale to this ultimate disappointment of the year.

Well I guess it’s time to move on in an attempt to find another exotic fling.  Maybe I could revisit my other special lady friend from last year, Red Chair.  Would this quench my thirst for hoppy passion?  Stay tuned to this multi-part series of my trials and tribulations to my 2013 craft beer love life.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment