Thursday, April 26, 2012

3 Word Beer Review

Here it is! I’ve been slacking on the beer reviews lately and it took this brew to snap me out of it. I was killing time the other day on BeerAdvocate and ran across a thread discussing the downfalls of Belhaven containing their beers in clear glass bottles. Belhaven Scottish Ale is one of my all time favorites so this article caught my attention. I originally fell in the love with the Belhaven Scottish Ale at the Flying Saucer, of which they have it on nitro tap. The typical Saucer trip for me is picking out a couple of giant beers (Imperial Stout, Barleywine, etc) and then eventually coming to the conclusion I need to lighten the mood. What always comes next is the Belhaven Scottish Ale. The sad part of the story was I figured I would be forever limited to experiencing this brilliant creamy nitro’d creation only at the Saucer. That is until now! I was glancing over the comments on the BeerAdvocate thread when there it was…a picture so great it brought tears to my eyes… it was a Belhaven Scottish Ale in a can with a nitro widget! Could this be? Is this here and I didn’t know it? The answer is yes and yes.

I could go on and on about the qualities of this brew but it wouldn’t do the brew any justice. I tried to “review” the beer the other night and describe its consistency, its smoothness, its subtle malt sweetness, and so on but I kept coming back to damn that’s good. OK concentrate this time, drink, damn that’s good. OK that’s enough spacing out, write something down, drink, holy crap that’s really good. I reached the bottom of the glass in short order and didn’t have much to show for it. So I conceded to greatness and wrote a 3 word review.


The review:

Smooth Creamy Awesomeness.

Every time I taste this brew I am reminded of the Benjamin Franklin (mis)quote: “Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy”.

The original quote referred to wine and went something like:
“Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.”

Bam! You’ve just been hit with some knowledge. Sorry if you own the shirt.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment