Sunday, June 12, 2011

FatCat brew day - WTF Roggenbier

OG:  1.045
IBU:   19.5

In my quest to brew all the styles recognized in the BJCP guide, I find myself face to face with beers I've never even heard of.  This is one of them. 

Roggenbier is a German rye beer which was originally brewed in Regensburg, Bavaria.  It was a specialty beer intended to be a more distinctive variant of a dunkelweizen with rye instead of wheat.  It's supposed to be moderate to strong in spicy rye flavor, similare to rye or pumpernickel bread.  The taste is dominated by rye grain and weizen yeast character (banana, clove, maybe citrus) with very little hop bitterness.

This is one of the styles that would be nearly impossible to find a commercial version in the US.  This is one of the few recipes I have serious doubts about whether it is actually going to taste good.  But I laugh in the face of homebrew danger and venture forth.  If I'm not back in a couple hours call the authorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment