Thursday, June 23, 2011

FatCat's Beer College Results

I've unlocked the key to get craft beer newbies to become instantly and hopelessly addicted to craft.  Which style is the perfect style for the craft uninitiated?  What beer is the perfect beer to convert all light lager drinkers to craft beer zombies?  Well keep reading I'll tell you but you have to promise me you'll use these powers for good and not evil. Deal? Deal.

If you are following along at home I posted yesterday about my cousin turning 21 years of age.  So for a proper orientation he enrolled in FatCat's Beer College, which turns out to be 14 beer styles sampled back to back.  We started light with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and ran the gamut all the way to dark and heavy Old Rasputin Imperial Stout.  I had Claydizzle rate how much he liked each beer 1-5, with 5 being the greatest taste he's ever tasted.  I poured the samples and he started taking notes.  Notes?  Of course you have to take notes in Beer College.


 Here are the results:
 
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
3.0
Boulevard Tank 7
3.0
Founder's Porter
3.5
North Coast Old Rasputin
3.5
FatCat's The British Are Coming Pale Ale
4.0
Schlafly Kolsch
4.0
Sam Adams Summer Ale
4.0
Spaten Franziskaner Hefe
4.0
FatCat's Big L Brown Ale
4.0
Opimator Dubblebock
4.0
FatCat's Car Bomb Stout (Dry Stout)
4.0
Founder's Centennial IPA
4.5
Sam Adams Cream Stout
4.5
Bells Third Coast Old Ale
4.5

His favorite of the whole bunch was Founders Centennial IPA.  If you were like me, you were hoping for some secret look into the mind of a craft beer newbie that could unlock the holy grail of craft brew.  The perfect combination of brew that would instantly convert anyone to a craft beer lover.  I had plans to start mass conversions of non-believers into craft beer believers with the secrets I uncovered.  Well as you can tell there is no logical sequence of like vs dislike here.  No secrets have been revealed and the non-believers are safe for a while longer.  Claydizzle had fun and asked, "When are we going to do this again?".  So I think I have a budding craft beer lover on my hands.  Score one for the good guys.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I like to do aide by side comparisons with friends to show them the way. Find out what styles they've had with Macros and go from there. For instance, he like Miller Lite, got him a Boulevard Pilsenar. He slowly found out that craft beer is superior and there is more to beer then fizzy yellow drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that's definately a plan. Luckily my cousin had not been tarnished by fizzy yellow blandness yet. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete