Monday, September 12, 2011

Jamaica's Dragon Stout

As I mentioned earlier the Jamaican Dragon Stout was the saving grace (as far as beer is concerned) of my recent vacation.  Without the Dragon Stout I would have been stranded on a tropical island with Red Stripe and Heineken as my only barley based beverages.  AHHHHHH!!!!!!  Nightmare averted and Jamaican Stout acquired.



The Dragon Stout is an export stout weighing in at 7.5% ABV.  It pours with a big three fingered head which recedes fairly quickly.  The head gives way and releases a somewhat strange grassy earthy aroma.  The grassy aroma is not one I’m particularly familiar with but gives the brew an inviting hot weather beginning.  The mouthfeel is fairly thin for a stout of this ABV but again would be conducive to hot weather consumption.  The brew begins with a big shot of grainy maltiness mixing in with toasty bread character.  There is not the typical roast or chocolate notes I’ve become accustomed to in stouts.  Usually I would consider the absence of roast character a negative but the malty breadiness brings depth to this stout.  The malt finish brings a subtle molasses character that hits you in the back of the throat.  Molasses gives way to the grassy character which was apparent in the nose.  I’m not sure what types of hops they use in this brew but it reminds me of a milder version of the Hopluia IPA.  They both have that grassy minty signature from their hops.  This is unlike any stout I’ve tried before and the unique complexity makes it a treat.


Cheers!   

No comments:

Post a Comment