Thursday, September 1, 2011

Steak with a Craft Brew Flair!

This past weekend was the Mrs's birthday and she requested steak for her celebration dinner.  While steak can be a tasty treat all on its own, I was in the mood for something a little different.  I hit the web in search of a delicious variation on how to prepare a prime choice of beef.  I struck gold!  I found a recipe by Guy Fieri named Java Crusted New York Steak with Stout Glaze.  Coffee on a steak?  Sounds strange but I was sold when I saw the stout glaze.  I ran it by the Mrs and got the go ahead to continue with the mission.



Here's the recipe as listed on foodnetwork.com

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup medium grind Italian Roast coffee
  • 1/2 cup black peppercorns, freshly cracked
  • 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup granulated garlic
  • 11/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
  • 11/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 4 (1 1/2 to 2-inch) thick New York strip steaks
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 16 ounces stout
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Combine coffee, peppercorns, 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt, garlic, cayenne pepper and paprika in a small bowl. Press firmly onto steaks. Let steaks rest, covered, for 30 minutes at room temperature.

To cook, heat oil in a large saute pan until almost smoking. Add steaks and sear 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Do not overcrowd the pan. Use 2pans if needed. Remove steaks to a baking dish and finish cooking in the oven until desired doneness. Remove to a cutting board or platter and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.

Meanwhile, bring stout to a simmer in a small saucepan and reduce by about 1/3. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. After steaks have rested, pour any juices from the cutting board into the sauce, and serve with steaks.

I know what your thinking, because I thought the same thing.  Steak without the grill?  I had my doubts as well but was comforted by the thought of a stout glaze.  Onward soldier. 

What stout to choose?  There was no question I would turn to the Sam Adams Cream Stout. 

The recipe called for a medium grind French roast coffee for the rub.  I know NOTHING about coffee.  I don't drink coffee so I was lost on what to choose.  At first I had some Foldgers in the old shopping cart but realized it was enough to make 90 cups of coffee.  The thought crossed my mind that perhaps I should get a smaller amount.  I ventured back to the coffee aisle and was greeted by a The Roasterie representative who was very helpful in choosing the Euro Bistro Blend.  The Roasterie is a local KC company of which I was happy to support.  According to remarks on the recipe I cut the ingredients for the rub in half.  I still had some rub left over even after cutting it in half. 

The Mrs proclaimed that this was the best steak she had ever tasted.  She was not a huge fan of the stout glaze but the rub was a hit.  I was in agreement and will definitely use this recipe again.  I liked the stout glaze but it seemed to be a bit too sweet.  I will cut the brown sugar in half the next time I use this recipe.  Looking for a different way to cook your next steak?  Why not spice it up with some locally roasted coffee and some craft brew?  I put the FatCat seal of approval on this recipe.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment