Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sam Adams Deconstructed finally in KS

I live on the Kansas side so we usually get stuff way after Missouri.  The announcement of the Sam Adams Deconstructed sample pack has left me in wait.  Like a lion on the Serengeti I have been hunting this sampler pack for weeks now.  Crouched in the grass and visiting the liquor store every other day, my hunt was finally rewarded.  The thrill of the kill (well, the purchase) will be enjoyed this weekend.  The sampler will include two of the regular Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA's.  With this they are including 5 single hopped versions of the Latitude. All 5 hops are used in the original Latitude 48 but you will now be able to taste each hop as it would appear in the beer individually.  The hops are Hallertau Mittelfrueh from Germany, East Kent Goldings from England, Ahtanum, Simcoe, and Zues.  The last three come from Washington's Yakima Valley.  I think this is a great idea and will help further the education of beer geeks and casual consumers alike.  Even if you don't care for the Latitude 48, I think this would be a good way to experience what unique flavor each hop contributes to the final beer.  I've contemplated trying something like this as a homebrewer and the amount of time involved in making 5 separate small batches would be hard to commit to.  So for around $14.00 this is a super cheap and quick way to increase your hop knowledge. 

Mikkeller also produces some single hopped IPA's that are supposed to be exceptional.  These are harder to find but I have seen one of them at Tipsy's.

Happy Hunting and as always...

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Rimann in PV has a handful of the Mikkeller single hop beers. If you're further south Lukas in KCMO has a lot of them. A few weeks ago I picked up a handful of the single hops and one of their 1000 IBUs!

    I haven't popped any of them yet, but hope to soon... trying to find just the right time to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete